I finished cleaning up the score for my newest choral & piano piece based on Psalm 40 today (I limited to myself to SATB–four parts only!), but since I still don’t have a solution for Sonar, the printed manuscript will have to sit in my binder for a bit longer while I start on the next project (haven’t decided what yet…). Of course, Sibelius has decided to start acting up now. *rhe* Nothing much–I just can’t set the Devices to use the MIDI input from my keyboard (it locks up when I try to close the dialog). Which means I have to “type” in all my notes instead of playing them in–that means typing “A” on my laptop keyboard for an “A”, a “3” to stack the note a third above an “A”, and a “4” to stack a note an interval of a fourth above that to get an F chord in first inversion and then using Ctrl-up or down to adjust to a different register if necessary instead of simply hitting all three notes in the correct octave at the same time. Slightly more time involved, but it works.
Since I finished a piece and didn’t feel like deciding just yet what I’ll start on tomorrow, I decided to take the time to hunt down a few of my old .wav files. Ah, when I knew how to score! When I could make a mock up without even trying, hardly! *sigh* Of course, maybe if I had bothered to PRACTICE more during the last three years, I’d still be able to, neh?
First, the final assignment for my Dramatic Scoring class my first semester in grad school: Lydie Breeze. The scene was NOT something I wanted to watch twenty gazillion times (necessary for writing good score), but I managed to write a pretty decent piece, anyway. I’m not sure whether or not I should be horrified that I did such a good job… Since I don’t like the dialogue that came with the live recording at the concert, I made a MIDI mock up while listening to the live recording and trying my best to match it. *happy sigh* I LOVE my muted string samples!! Oh, if only I could make mock-ups like that all the time…
Listen to the wave
And, of course, the score 🙂 :Lydie Breeze
Next, the piece that, with Lydie Breeze, I submitted for the ASCAP/Mancini scholarship competition: Motorcycle Chase. This one was third semester, Music & Movement. The assignment was to take elements from Stravinsky’s The Rite of Spring and Don Davis’s Matrix score, both of which we had just studied, and create a one-minute action piece. I had fun with this one. 🙂 I never cleaned up the score, since the assignment was purely for the audio, but here it is if you’re brave: Motorcycle Chase And the .wav
Last one for today, and then I’ve got to go make supper. 🙂 Also from the Music & Movement class, a chase scene from Bullitt. This was composed to an actual scene, but I can’t find the video on my external hard drive…so music & score only, I’m afraid. Same story on the score, so again, if you’re brave: Bullitt And the .wav